BREAKING NEWS

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Silent Governess by Julie Klassen


The Silent Governess by Julie Klassen (Rated: C)
Bethany House Publishers
ISBN: 978-0-7642-0707-5
Published Jan 10, 2010
Tade Paperback, 448 pages

With its stunning cover and enticing synopsis, this book beckoned me to read it from the day I received it. So I put down the book I originally planned to read and eagerly began to devour the pages of this one. With its intricate plot, fine set of characters, and 19th century small village English Manor setting, it was easy to become fully absorbed in this novel, keeping me up late several nights.

Julie Klassen has given us a well-written tale that skilfully blends mystery, intrigue, secrecy, and romance to create a book with which I loved to escape. Plenty of situations are thrown into the plot leaving the reader wondering how it will all come together in the end. But the author leaves no plot thread loose as she brings the novel to a satisfying conclusion.

If there was something that had me frowning in confusion at times was the inconsistency of some of the characters. Mrs. Hinkley, the housekeeper, for example, was cool and aloof (as required by her station) but was suddenly considered a friend toward the end by Olivia Keene, the main character, and I had no clue when the transition took place. There are other examples but because I enjoyed reading this book, they are considered minor and did not detract too much. Some of the characters I liked best were the secondary ones, like Mr. Tugwell, the vicar, and Mr. Croome, the gamekeeper.

If you like historical fiction with some romance and mystery, this one will surely please. In addition, although considered Christian fiction, I believe it will appeal to anyone who enjoys a good story.

Disclosure: Thanks to Bethany House Publishers for sending this book for review. I was not compensated in any other way, nor told how to rate or review this product.

Share this:

2 comments :

  1. I stayed up WAY too late last night reading this--and I've still got 80 pages or so left. :) I'm enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I appreciate your feedback.

Visit Us Today

Visit Us Today
iRead: getting your book in the hands of readers
 
Back To Top
Copyright © 2009-2017 Laura Fabiani Library of Clean Reads . Designed by OddThemes OddThemes