BREAKING NEWS

Saturday, April 19, 2014

Kid Konnection: When I Grow Up I Want to be...a Teacher! by Wigu Publishing

When I Grow Up I Want to be...a Teacher!
Wigu Publishing
ISBN: 978-1939973085
Published Dec 3, 2013
Softcover, 60 pages

Carlee plans on being a teacher when she grows up until her mother is hired as a teacher in her own school. Carlee cringes knowing that some of her friends are in her mother's class. She's worried that her friends will think her mom is lame. And what if her mom gives out bad grades and then no one will want to play with her? As Carlee goes through her first day of school and contemplates other careers she learns what it really means to be a teacher.

Initially when I began to read this with my 10 year-old son he wasn't all that crazy about it. He's having a bad year in school this year (along with his whole class) with a teacher who in my opinion--and that of most parents whose child is in that class--should not be teaching. My son thought the book was unrealistic. "That doesn't happen on the first day of school," he kept saying. I pointed out that all schools are different and teach different things depending on where you lived.

As Carlee goes to each class, she learns about famous people throughout history. The book includes a short biography of each of these persons. As I expounded on these famous people such as Martin Luther King Jr., Neil Armstrong, Marie Curie, Galileo and Albert Einstein, I could see my son began to be more interested. I knew he could relate to Carlee's dilemma. He's of that age where I cannot kiss him goodbye in front of his friends anymore. So as we kept reading, my son warmed up to this book.

My son thinks this book would be okay to have in school where a teacher can use it to teach, but he doesn't think kids would choose it as fun reading. It's too "educational" and not fun enough. I understand what he means, and he's right. This book is good for teaching lessons and helping kids to think about their future. But if it was meant to attract kids to reading, they will bypass it in favor of the next adventure book.

This book is the first in a series. I think it's a good series to include as part of a classroom library to get kids to think about what they'd like to be doing in the future.

Note: This book is rated C = clean read.

Reviewed by Laura & Son

Disclosure: Thanks to Wigu Publishing and Bostick Communications for sending us this book for review. We were not compensated in any other way, nor told how to rate or review this product.

Share this:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I appreciate your feedback.

Visit Us Today

Visit Us Today
iRead: getting your book in the hands of readers
 
Back To Top
Copyright © 2009-2017 Laura Fabiani Library of Clean Reads . Designed by OddThemes OddThemes