BREAKING NEWS

Thursday, August 18, 2011

The Time Machine by H.G. Wells

The Time Machine by H.G. Wells (Rated: C)
Signet Classic
ISBN: 0451528557
Published Oct 1, 2002
Paperback, 118 pages


I've always wanted to read this book because I love time travel. But more importantly, because it was first published in 1895, The Time Machine is considered the first modern science fiction novel. Now, as most of my readers know, I am not a huge sci-fi reader. I think I've only reviewed one book in this genre. However, H.G. Wells was the first author who stated that time travel might be scientifically feasible. He said, “Using a machine, a feat of brilliant personal engineering, you or I, can travel into the future, or the past, at will.”

I have to admit, I did not love The Time Machine, but I was intrigued by it, even fascinated at what the author imagined in 1895 before our modern technology even existed! In the story, the Time Traveller (he is not given a name) travels to the year 802,701 where our earthly society has changed biologically and physically into two cultures, the Eloi and the Morlocks, and I saw the similarity to the class system in Wells' own time, Upstairs and Downstairs.

This change in society is horrific and later in the story, we are led to believe that if society were to continue in like manner, life on Earth would eventually end. There is very much the feeling of impending doom. It was weird. Much like Planet of the Apes was weird. Remember that movie?

Was Wells trying to relay a message? Most probably, as things were beginning to change at the turn of the twentieth century. But of course, as a Christian, I have a different hope for the future of our society and the Earth, and it is a beautiful one. So although I appreciated Wells' technological insight and his need to warn us of the errors of our ways through fiction, I read this book purely for my own curiosity. It did not depress me, but rather made me realize how much society is in need of a true hope for the future, now more than ever.

I will count this book toward the following challenges: Support Your Local Library Challenge, TwentyEleven Challenge

Disclosure: I borrowed this book from the library. I was not told how to rate or review this product.

Share this:

1 comment :

  1. I absolutely love the 1960's film of this, it's so hilarious and cool, but I've never read the book. There's something about this generation of science fiction that is truly brilliant so I really should read this! Thanks for the reminder about it :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I appreciate your feedback.

Visit Us Today

Visit Us Today
iRead: getting your book in the hands of readers
 
Back To Top
Copyright © 2009-2017 Laura Fabiani Library of Clean Reads . Designed by OddThemes OddThemes