BREAKING NEWS

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay

Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay (Rated: C)
St. Martin's Press
ISBN: 978-0312370831
Published June 12, 2007
Hardcover, 304 pages

I have held off from reading this book because of its sad element, but when I saw the movie trailer and then heard the author is coming to Montreal, I knew I wanted to read the book. Although this was a sad story, I truly loved reading it. The author succeeds in interweaving a modern story with one that takes place 60 years prior. She captivated my interest throughout.

Julia Jarmond, an American journalist married to a Frenchman and living in Paris discovers the shameful Vel' d'Hiv' event that took place in France in 1942. As she investigates, she discovers a long-held secret connected to her in-laws and to Sarah, a girl who was torn from her home in Paris in 1942 and sent to a concentration camp. Julia's probing and tenacity to learn more about Sarah gives her courage to face her own issues and her husband's infidelity and to bring about changes in her life.

The short chapters alternate between the two time periods and for me this eased the heavy sadness of Sarah's heartbreaking story so that I felt I could absorb it better in little chunks. It also built suspense, kept me turning those pages at break-neck speed and culminated well with Julia's story.

This story is beautifully written, flows well, and offers the reader a historical look at yet another horrific, and perhaps not so well-known event associated with the Holocaust. An absorbing and compelling read. Highly recommended.

I will count this book toward the following challenges: Support Your Local Library Challenge, Reading the World

Disclosure: I borrowed this book from the library. I was not told how to rate or review this product.

Share this:

9 comments :

  1. I also loved this as an audio book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I anxious to read this too. The movie never did come to my neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this one as well. I thought it was by well written and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this book. I read it last year and read it very quickly. I liked how the chapters alternated who was telling the story. Also, I had never heard of this roundup in France and found it interesting and very sad. What a great review!

    ~Jess
    http://thesecretdmsfilesoffairdaymorrow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked this book very much, but mostly the older story, not so much the new story. I'd like to see the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have this on my bookshelf and have put off reading it. I guess I need to be in a particular mood to read these types of books. Your review has me thinking I should read it soon before the dvd comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really want to see the movie! Glad you liked this one. I loved Sarah's story but just didn't find myself caring about Julia as much. I will link to your review on War Through the Generations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I definitely have to get this one on my shelves - I'm surprised that so many of us didn't know about the French roundup as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. t isn't often that I find a book that I can recommend without reservation. This is one of those books. The story is fascinating, emotional, and pulls you in. You won't want to put it down but you will so you can think about what you have just read. You will have to remind yourself to take a breath. It will make you cry and cheer.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I appreciate your feedback.

Visit Us Today

Visit Us Today
iRead: getting your book in the hands of readers
 
Back To Top
Copyright © 2009-2017 Laura Fabiani Library of Clean Reads . Designed by OddThemes OddThemes