BREAKING NEWS

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Speed of Light by Lee Baker

Speed of Light by Lee Baker
Paralight Publishing
ISBN: 978-0983374213
Published Aug 12, 2011
Trade Paperback, 304 pages


It's been awhile since I read a good thriller so as soon as I read the premise of this book, I knew I wanted to read it. And it certainly fulfilled my expectations. What a thrilling ride this book took me on!

Pierce Black works as a pilot for Paralight Technologies, a high-end company experimenting with a secret project to test flight a speed of light jet. When Pierce agrees to be the first human to travel the speed of light, he actually survives the test, and soon discovers that he becomes light and his mind changes. But with this change comes tragedy and danger. Someone wants him dead, and Pierce has to discover what the conspiracy is as he adapts to his newly acquired and superhuman strengths and skills. 

I have to say that the fantastical element of being able to travel at the speed of light by stepping into visions of the past was so well-written and seamlessly incorporated within the plot so as to be plausible even as it was incredible. It was such a cool concept because it wasn't explored in a futuristic or galactic setting but rather a contemporary normal one. Pierce Black was a regular guy who experienced an amazing transformation while remaining very human. I was fascinated by this and couldn't put the book down.

As a matter of fact, what I liked most about Speed of Light was that its main character was very human. As he suffers his losses, especially that of his wife who was murdered, the gravity of them takes a toll on him. We experience his anguish, his fear and his frustration, but also his will to survive. This really pulled me into the story as the suspense builds and he is being chased. Some thrillers have their characters go through harrowing situations and yet they come out of it emotionally unscathed, which only adds to the incredulity. I didn't feel that with Speed of Light. I really liked Pierce Black. He was unpretentious and kind. He loved his mentally disabled son and he felt regret for his past mistakes. Most of us could relate to him.

This was such an engaging book with concepts that were different and fun to explore. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. I especially liked the author's exploration of how the mind can work on different levels. This is a topic that fascinates me on a scientific level. Lee Baker has just made it to my list of favorite authors. I will definitely look for this author's work in the future.


Note: This book is rated C = clean read.
If you want to learn more about this author visit www.leebakeronline.com.


Reviewed by Laura

Disclosure: Thanks to the author and Mediaguests for sending me this book for review. I was not compensated in any other way, nor told how to rate or review this product.

Share this:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I appreciate your feedback.

Visit Us Today

Visit Us Today
iRead: getting your book in the hands of readers
 
Back To Top
Copyright © 2009-2017 Laura Fabiani Library of Clean Reads . Designed by OddThemes OddThemes